5R110 Full Upgrade Kit
Your transmission is what delivers all that torque and horsepower to the pavement. If you're starting to see the dreaded 3-5 shift flare, getting high on the odometer, towing heavy, pushing heavy horsepower or just wanting to proactively protect your investment our 5R110 transmission upgrade kit provides a very solid solution. The following info details the upgrade package contents and using the drop-downs in the purchase section at the bottom of this page you can dial in your kit to perfection.
Note: This upgrade package is not compatible with the "TransGo" Kit.
SOLENOIDS - A couple known "weak links" in the 5R110 Torqshift transmission are the solenoids (EPC & Direct) that cover 3-5 shifting. Upgrading to our Stage II solenoids will deliver twice the fluid in half the time to the final drive clutches!
PAN & FILTRATION - While performing the solenoid upgrade, upgrading to the deeper 6.4L transmission pan is a smart move. The 5R110 transmission was used on the later 6.4L vehicles but Ford enhanced the pan & filter designs. The redesign allows for greater fluid capacity and dramatically superior filtration. A quick pan & filter swap will allow you to take advantage of those design improvements.
All kits include the basic items shown below and there are a few optional items which allow you to "custom build" your upgrade kit.
All kits include:
- 1ea. 5R110 Stage 2 Direct Solenoid
- 1ea. 5R110 Stage 2 EPC Solenoid ** Refundable $65 core charge (see note below)
- 1ea. Molded rubber gasket
- 1ea. Valve Body Gasket
- 1-5ea. Transmission Dummy Plugs Review this link for a dummy plug qty reference
- 1ea. Through Transmission O-Ring
Optional Items: When adding items to your cart, you'll see a drop down menu for the pan optional pan & pleated filter upgrade. We highly recommend this upgrade and offer two pan types, OEM Stock or Heavy Duty.
OEM STOCK - This is a Ford OE 6.4L aluminum pan. Solid and reliable MotorCraft quality, but best for folks who don't do a lot of heavy towing, off-roading or pulling steep grades.
HEAVY DUTY - This is a 3/8" thick, heavy duty cast aluminum pan and available in a raw metal or black powder coated finish. This pan will DRAMATICALLY increase the rigidity of your transmission case, help prevent case cracking and help keep your temps in check. Cooling fins, extra capacity, magnetic drain and a machined gasket surface for superior sealing. It's a great option for folks who routinely tow heavy, go off-road or perform boosted launches.
Optional "Add On" packages:
GOLD Master add-on package: Our Gold package provides you with everything you need to complete the trans upgrade including your fluid, replacement bumper filter and seal, and a second pleated filter. The recommended best practice is to perform the solenoid, filter and pan upgrade, and then after driving 1000 - miles post upgrade, you drop the pan (retain your fluid) and do a second final main filter swap. It's at that time you also replace the bumper filter. From there, your 5R110 is clean and serene.
- 1ea. Remote Transmission Bumper Filter
- 1es. Remote Transmission Bumper Filter O-Ring Seal
- 1ea. Pleated Transmission Filter
- 12 Quarts Genuine Ford Motorcraft LV ATF
PLATINUM Master add-on package: Our Platinum Master add-on package includes everything included the GOLD package above, plus includes the items below. It includes an upgraded Manual Valve, new TFT sensor, valve body screen and even a new 4x4 transmission mount. It's our most popular package and will have your 5R110 performing effectively and reliably for the long haul.
- 1ea. Upgraded Manual Valve
- 1ea. TFT (Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor)
- 1ea. Valve Body Screen
- 1ea. 4x4 Rear Transmission Mount
A FEW FINAL CONSIDERATIONS:
- Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor - If you're not ordering the Platinum kit, you should consider ordering a TFT separately. You're already going to be in the transmission so it's a great time to preventatively replace this sensor to prevent issues down the road.
- Control Valve Body Screen - Again, if you're not going with the Platinum kit, replacing the valve body is just a solid preventative measure to take while you're in there.
- DieselSite External Transmission Filter - If your torque converter ever fails, this filtration system can protect your transmission and keep pieces of the torque converter from causing serious and potentially lethal damage to your transmission. In the case of a torque converter failure this unit catches the debris before it can make it back to the transmission.
As always, if you have any questions just reach out. When you purchase a kit, we can also provide you with a solid set of instructions that makes the upgrade something a guy or gal can complete in the driveway in a couple hours with just a basic set of tools.
RE: EPC Core Charge - Simply return your old EPC core and we'll refund the full $65 core charge
Service Note: Following the installation of this solenoid, we recommend immediately performing a transmission relearn process as follows:
1. Install diagnostic equipment and monitor transmission fluid temperature (TFT).
2. Warm the transmission fluid to 54°C (130°F) as indicated by the TFT reading.
3. Perform five engagements from Park to Reverse. (Each engagement must be five seconds apart)
4. Perform five engagements from Drive to Reverse. (Each engagement must be five seconds apart)
5. Perform five engagements from Reverse to Drive. (Each engagement must be five seconds apart)
6. Perform five engagements from Neutral to Drive. (Each engagement must be five seconds apart)
5R110 Valve Body Gasket Transmission