5R110 Full Upgrade Kit
Your transmission is what delivers all that torque and horsepower to the pavement. If you're starting to see the dreaded 3-5 shift flare, getting high on the odometer, towing heavy, pushing heavy horsepower or just wanting to proactively protect your investment our 5R110 transmission upgrade kit provides a very solid solution. The following info details the upgrade package contents and using the drop-downs in the purchase section at the bottom of this page you can dial in your kit to perfection.
Note: This upgrade package is not compatible with the "TransGo" Kit.
SOLENOIDS - A couple known "weak links" in the 5R110 Torqshift transmission are the solenoids (EPC & Direct) that cover 3-5 shifting. Upgrading to our Stage II solenoids will deliver twice the fluid in half the time to the final drive clutches!
PAN & FILTRATION - While performing the solenoid upgrade, upgrading to the deeper 6.4L transmission pan is a smart move. The 5R110 transmission was used on the later 6.4L vehicles but Ford enhanced the pan & filter designs. The redesign allows for greater fluid capacity and dramatically superior filtration. A quick pan & filter swap will allow you to take advantage of those design improvements.
All kits include the basic items shown below and there are a few optional items which allow you to "custom build" your upgrade kit.
All kits include:
- 1ea. 5R110 Stage 2 Direct Solenoid
- 1ea. 5R110 Stage 2 EPC Solenoid ** Refundable $65 core charge (see note below)
- 1ea. Molded Rubber Pan Gasket
- 1ea. Valve Body Gasket
- 1-5ea. Transmission Dummy Plugs Review this link for a dummy plug qty reference
- 1ea. Through Transmission O-Ring
Optional Items: When adding items to your cart, you'll see a drop down menu for the optional pan & pleated filter upgrades. We highly recommend doing the pan & filtration upgrade and offer the 3 pan types detailed below (all pans ship with the upgraded filter):
OEM STOCK Pan & Filter combo - This is a Ford OE 6.4L aluminum pan. Solid and reliable MotorCraft quality, but best for folks who don't do a lot of heavy towing, off-roading or pulling steep grades.
Aftermarket Pan Upgrade Options: Both of our heavy duty pan options will DRAMATICALLY increase the rigidity of your transmission case, help prevent case cracking and with increased fluid capacity, help keep your temps in check. Both are 3/8" thick, offer internal and external cooling fins, extra fluid capacity, and have magnetic drain plugs and machined gasket surfaces to provide for superior sealing. These pans are very solid options for folks who routinely tow heavy, drive hard, off-road or simply want to have the best parts on their truck. The PRO and HD options are available in raw aluminum or black powder-coated finishes.
PRO SERIES Pan & Filter combo - Pan & Filter combo - This Pro Series pans feature everything listed above, but also have a threaded 1/8" NPT port ready for use with an external trans temp sensor. (it comes with a threaded plug in the port so if you don't need the port for an external temp sensor you just install and run it as is)
HD SERIES Pan & Filter combo - The HD Series pans also feature everything listed above. The main difference, between the Pro and HD series, aside from minor design/appearance facets, is that the HD series does not have an existing threaded port for an external temp sensor. It does have two dedicated, reinforced locations (one one each side of the pan) so if desired, you can drill/machine/tap a hole for an external sensor. Most people don't run an external sensor so the hole isn't there, but the HD pan is designed with designated, reinforced areas so, if desired, you can machine/tap a hole for a sensor.
Optional "Add On" packages:
GOLD Master add-on package: Our Gold package provides you with everything you need to complete the trans upgrade including your fluid, replacement bumper filter and seal, and a second pleated filter. The recommended best practice is to perform the solenoid, filter and pan upgrade, and then after driving 1000 - miles post upgrade, you drop the pan (retain your fluid) and do a second final main filter swap. It's at that time you also replace the bumper filter. From there, your 5R110 is clean and serene.
- 1ea. Remote Transmission Bumper Filter
- 1es. Remote Transmission Bumper Filter O-Ring Seal
- 1ea. Pleated Transmission Filter
- 12 Quarts Genuine Ford Motorcraft LV ATF
PLATINUM Master add-on package: Our Platinum Master add-on package includes everything included the GOLD package above, plus includes the items below. It includes an upgraded Manual Valve, new TFT sensor, valve body screen and even a new 4x4 transmission mount. It's our most popular package and will have your 5R110 performing effectively and reliably for the long haul.
- 1ea. Sonnax Upgraded Manual Valve
- 1ea. TFT (Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor)
- 1ea. Valve Body Screen
- 1ea. 4x4 Rear Transmission Mount
Solenoid Replacement Option: This option will be shown as you create your order below. The 5R110 upgrade kit natively includes the two upgraded EPC and Direct solenoids and will get the trans pressures upgrraded nicely for you. Some people, while they have the valve body removed and are in there working, also wish to replace the other 5 solenoids. (there are 7 total) The difference in labor on the job between replacing 2 vs. 5 is literally less than 5 minutes. This option is for those who want to replace all the solenoids while they're perfroming the upgrade.
A FEW FINAL CONSIDERATIONS:
- Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor - If you're not ordering the Platinum kit, you should consider ordering a TFT separately. You're already going to be in the transmission so it's a great time to preventatively replace this sensor to prevent issues down the road.
- Control Valve Body Screen - Again, if you're not going with the Platinum kit, replacing the valve body is just a solid preventative measure to take while you're in there.
- DieselSite External Transmission Filter - If your torque converter ever fails, this filtration system can protect your transmission and keep pieces of the torque converter from causing serious and potentially lethal damage to your transmission. In the case of a torque converter failure this unit catches the debris before it can make it back to the transmission.
As always, if you have any questions just reach out. When you purchase a kit, we can also provide you with a solid set of instructions that makes the upgrade something a guy or gal can complete in the driveway in a couple hours with just a basic set of tools.
RE: EPC Core Charge - Return your old EPC core within 60 days and we'll refund the $65 core charge
Service Note: Following the installation of this solenoid, we recommend immediately performing a transmission relearn process as follows:
1. Install diagnostic equipment and monitor transmission fluid temperature (TFT).
2. Warm the transmission fluid to 54°C (130°F) as indicated by the TFT reading.
3. Perform five engagements from Park to Reverse. (Each engagement must be five seconds apart)
4. Perform five engagements from Drive to Reverse. (Each engagement must be five seconds apart)
5. Perform five engagements from Reverse to Drive. (Each engagement must be five seconds apart)
6. Perform five engagements from Neutral to Drive. (Each engagement must be five seconds apart)
5R110 - TFT - Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor BC3Z-7H141-A / 136437A / AP63497
5R110 Transmission Pan Gasket fits all 6.0L and 6.4L 5R110 equipped vehicles
5R110 Valve Body Gasket Transmission