Ford Mercon LV Transmission Fluid (Replaces SP)
Motorcraft® MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (Ford's recommended replacement for SP)
- Premium-quality ATF for Ford and Lincoln transmissions
- Provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions
- Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydro-processed base oils and specially designed performance additives
- Provides excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures, and guards against transmission shudder
- Offers excellent thermal, oxidation and shear stability, as well as good low-temperature fluidity
- Provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam
- Helps prevent rust and corrosion
- Dyed red for easy leak detection
- Not for use in applications where MERCON® V, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended
- Not for use in transfer cases
- Recommended by Ford Motor Company
Occasionally, customers may still want SP. While LV is the Ford recommended replacement and is what we receomend and use, you can opt to order SP fluid below.
What's difference? Mercon SP vs LV
However both Mercon LV and Mercon SP are different lubricants, but they are pretty much the same. Both fluids can indeed be used for Ford vehicles. While Mercon SP is suitable for Ford 6R60 and early 6R80 transmissions, Mercon LV is acceptable for 6R80 and 6R140 transmissions.
You can mix Mercon SP and Mercon LV in the 5R110 transmission. Extensive testing has been proved that there is no concern about functionality or durability.
Difference Between Mercon SP And Mercon V
The key difference between Mercon SP and Mercon V is the viscosity requirements. While Mercon SP needs a kinematic viscosity of 5.5 to 6 square millimeters per second at 100 degrees C, Mercon V needs a minimum of 6.8. On the other hand, Mercon SP has more severe requirements for cold-temp Brookfield viscosity.
1. Is Mercon SP still available?
Since the Mercon LV replace Mercon sp, many customers aren’t finding Mercon SP fluid.
2. Can I Use Mercon V instead Of Mercon LV or SP?
According to the Ford manual, Mercon V cannot be mixed with either Mercon LV or Mercon SP. Note, however, that Mercon SP and Mercon LV can be mixed together.